Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Enough about Sheffield's contract

After a full day of listening to sports radio and reading a few blogs, I have to say the following with passion:

I do not care about the 14 million dollars that they have to pay Sheffield to not play!

There, I said it. This was a good baseball decision. They are a better team today than they were yesterday and I do not give one little iota about the money. Why should I? There is no salary cap in baseball and Illich will not raise ticket prices this year (I already have my tickets anyway).

DD, Leyland and crew should be making decisions 100% based on what makes them a better team and zero percent based on money. This decision confirms that they agree with this notion and that makes me feel good about the brain trust of this organization.

Sheffield used to be a feared power hitter. Now, he is just a decoy who will occasionally hit one out. Not often enough to justify a place in the lineup everyday. If Marcus Thames gets the AB's that Sheffield would have gotten, he'll hit 30-35 HR where Sheffield would have hit 15-20. If Carlos Guillen gets a lot of starts at DH instead of LF, then he might play 130 games instead of 110 games.

They are a better team because of this move!

No comments:

Post a Comment