Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Does Miner belong in the minors?

I had thought for a long time that the 2005 trade of Karl Farnsworth to Atlanta for Zach Miner & Ramon Colon was one of the best (but not the very best) trades that Dombrowski had made since becoming GM of our Tigers. Now, I am beginning to wonder if Miner will ever do anything again. Will he ever be good enough and consistent enough to be a 5th starter in the majors? I have my doubts.



When Mike Maroth went down in 2006, Miner did a stellar job of stepping into the role given to him. He took advantage of the opportunity and did well. Not great. Not as great as we might want to think. 2006 was a magical season and we all tend to romanticize it a bit too much. Everything was not perfect. They did blow a huge division lead and lost the division on the last day of the regular season. The second half was not great by any stretch. They were outstanding in the playoffs (until the WS) and that is what we remember, but it wasn't all peaches and cream.



My wife (then my girlfriend) went to a game near the end of the 2006 season, one of those last 3 games against KC where had we won any one of them, we would have clinched the division title. We went on a Saturday evening. Waited through an hour or so rain delay, but finally got to see baseball. Practically before we knew the game started, before some people were in their seats...Miner had surrendered 5 runs in 1/3 inning of work. It was bad. Very frustrating. Game over very early.



Zach is being given the opportunity to fight for the 5th spot in the rotation for 2009, but I would be shocked - SHOCKED - if he got it. I would be even more shocked if he kept the spot. I am rooting for him and hope he can get guys out, but he doesn't throw particularly hard and when he cannot locate his sinker, it is batting practice.

His line on Tuesday: 3 IP, 7 H, 3 ER. Just simply not good enough.


I hope I am wrong about young Mr Miner. Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment