Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Happy September and Happy Pennent Race

September 1, 2009. 5pm Eastern Time.

Record 69-61
First place, AL Central
3.5 games ahead of Minnesota
130 games down, 32 games to go
Magic number for a playoff birth (AL Central crown): 29

After taking a long hiatus from writing about all the games, I am committed to finishing the season strong along with my Tigers. I plan to watch every inning, every pitch that I can (i.e. that my wife allows - ha ha. just kidding. not really. really. not really).

In my mid-season predictions for the second half, I made these bold predictions:

Tigers are buyers at the trading deadline and acquire one bat and one arm.
NOTE: Correct!!!! Aubrey Huff and Jarrod Washburn.

Second half record of 46-35 for a final record of 90-72.
NOTE: Current second half record is 25-23. Not looking likely that they'll win 90.

90 wins is just barely enough for the Tigers to win the AL Central by 1 or 2 games. Twins finish in second.
NOTE: Twins are in second and it looks like it could go down to the wire.

Other divisional winners will be Boston and LA Angels.
NOTE: Boson will not likely win the AL East, but Angels will probably win the West.

Wildcard winner will be Tampa Bay Rays.
NOTE: Still possible, but not likely. I expect Boston wins the WC, although Tampa and Texas are still in the mix.

I think the Tigers are the best team in a weak AL Central and should win the division. The Twins scare the crap out of me because they always seem to win in the head-to-head games (esp at the Metrodome). They are still too close for comfort. I think, ultimately, the Tigers starting pitching is just too good for the other divisional teams. Justin, Edwin, Rick are a great top 3. If Jarrod can turn the clock back to his before-the-trade self, then it'll be even better. Nate and Armando have both shown promise for the 5th spot, which will be an important position down the stretch if the Twins keep it close.

Bottom line, I am optimistic but nervous about the Tigers postseason chances.

Tonights game: First of 3 against the ugly Indians. EJ pitches at Comerica for the good guys. Would love to see a few early runs and Edwin get a 6-0 or 6-1 win.

No comments:

Post a Comment